The CAP is one of the largest highway construction programs ever undertaken by the Arkansas Department of Transportation
The Connecting Arkansas Program (CAP) is one of the largest highway construction programs ever undertaken by the Arkansas Department of Transportation (ArDOT). In 2012, through a voter-approved constitutional amendment, the people of Arkansas passed a 10-year, half-cent sales tax to improve the state’s intermodal transportation system, including projects that widen and improve approximately 170 miles of highways and interstates. A map of the 31 projects that comprise the $1.8 billion program is located on the Corridors page.
The Connecting Arkansas Program:
In 2009, the 87th Arkansas General Assembly (AGA) passed Act 374 to create the Blue Ribbon Committee on Highway Finance. The committee was tasked with determining an equitable and adequate system to properly finance transportation improvements in Arkansas and to propose and recommend highway finance legislation for the 2011 session.
The constitutional amendment to levy a temporary sales-and-use tax was included on the 2012 Arkansas statewide general election ballot after a bipartisan vote in the 88th AGA.
During the November 2012 elections, Arkansans voted to approve Ballot Issue No. 1, a constitutional amendment to provide additional funding for highways, county roads, city streets, bridges, and surface transportation. The sales tax was approved by 58 percent of voters.
With passage of Issue No. 1, the state sales tax temporarily increases to 6.5 cents for 10 years, effective July 1, 2013.
The design and construction of highway and interstate widening projects will be funded with the estimated $1.8 billion anticipated to accrue from 70% of the tax revenue. The remaining 30% of the tax revenue will be turned back to local governments for road and street projects – 15% each for cities and counties.
Through a voter-approved constitutional amendment, the people of Arkansas passed a 10-year, half-cent sales tax to improve highway and infrastructure projects.
Thirty-one projects in 19 corridors across Arkansas are included in the CAP, which improves transportation connections to the four corners of Arkansas.
A collection of some of the most frequently asked questions concerning the Connecting Arkansas Program and the projects funded by the 10-year, half-cent sales tax.
Do you have a question, comment, suggestion or concern? Contact us by emailing info@ConnectingArkansasProgram.com or by using the message fields located at the bottom of every page.